Thursday, September 22, 2011

Angry Arm, Happy Tummy

I moved up to the biggest (standard) needle today.  I was told that some providers use an even bigger one.  No thanks.  The needle transition went well.  I stayed calm, and my nurse reminded me to breathe.  With the increased needle size, they will be able to run the machine faster.  I'm looking forward to that.  Right now, I'm hooked to the machine for four hours.  From the time I get there, until the time I leave has been running about five hours, plus the hour round-trip drive.  It won't cut the time by too much, but anything will be nice.

I'm having a difficult time with tape.  After my first treatment, they used plastic tape to hold the gauze down over my "holes".  The next day, I had blisters where the tape was.  Since then, they've been using paper tape, but last time, it tore my skin.  My arm is angry!

My boyfriend's mother bought us dinner tonight, and she brought home something I couldn't eat.  I felt really bad about it.  I hate to refuse her.  It was really sweet of her, but I couldn't eat it.  She knows that I have restrictions, and she thought she was within them.  She meant well.  :(

So far, sticking to my dietary restrictions has been paying off, though.  I don't retain much fluid in between treatments. My phosphorus level was just .1 over normal, and my potassium was in normal range.  My hemoglobin is up (10.6), but still not normal.  Today, I'm feeling pretty well.  My appetite is back, so I really have to watch it.  I haven't vomited in two weeks!  :)  It's the little things in life that are worth celebrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment