Friday, January 6, 2012

I Never Thought I'd Post Anything Having to Do with Mariah Carey

I haven't posted anything in a while.  Sometimes no news is good news, I guess.  Sometimes I just don't have much to say.  Like today.

So . . . in the news . . . Nick Cannon, husband of Mariah Carey (who I think looks really slutty and not very attractive in those new Jenny Craig ads), was recently hospitalized for "mild kidney failure", according to a "Tweet" from Mariah to her fans (not me -- got this from a news article).  Well, I hate to tell you Mariah, but there is no such thing as "mild" kidney failure.  If it's to the point that you had to go to the hospital, it is kidney failure.  Period.

There are two types of kidney failure -- chronic and acute.  I have chronic . . . when the onset is gradual.  Acute comes on all of a sudden, usually with no warning signs.  I have a friend who had acute failure.  He was perfectly fine and healthy in his mid-30s, when one day, he felt horrible, went to the hospital and was told his kidneys were failing.  He was put on dialysis immediately, was in the hospital for a while, etc.  Now it hasn't been fun having chronic kidney failure, but at least I had some time to sort of prepare for it.

So, I send out my well wishes to Nick Cannon, and to all of my fellow kidney failure friends.  He will have a tough journey regardless of the PR spin that his is only "mild".  Yes, he will get the best treatment that money can buy, but that treatment still sucks.  :)  At least, he seems to be in great physical shape otherwise and can get on a transplant list soon.

Speaking of transplant lists . . . I don't know if you've seen the most recent organ donation commercials, but they're . . . interesting.  I don't know if they're national or statewide.  Of course, I'm very pro-organ donation. :)  One of the commercials is a little depressing.  It states that 19 people die every day waiting for an organ.  Sad, but true.  I wonder if that counts people like me who haven't made it on a list yet -- Probably not, which if so, would make that number higher.

Seeing those commercials has made me realize that I'm in that category -- "waiting for an organ".  Sometimes it still doesn't seem real to me.  I don't know if I qualify for the "denial" phase of acceptance.  I understand that I need dialysis or a kidney to live, but I guess due to the chronic nature of my disease, it hasn't seemed to be as drastic or dramatic or something.  I'm glad for that in many ways.  I would hate to be in Nick Cannon's shoes.

I guess I had more to say than I thought.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment